Tuesday, July 31, 2007
Monday, July 2, 2007
Photostory lets one create stories from Photos and is quite simple to use. Some of the essential of Photostory3 are :
- requires Windows Media Player 10 or above. Load/ Install media player before photostory
- requires a genuine Windows XP. Will check for a genuine license of Windows
Its fun to use Photostory, especially for those who are habitual of working on Power Point as Photostory is very similar to that. One can create a real experience out of digital photos, scanned photos, etc. using Photostory.
Photostory can be downloaded from
Note : Photostory works only on Windows and the creation may become too heavy for use.
Anyway, enjoy the experience of a rare free (though with limitations) from Microsoft.
Thursday, May 31, 2007
Audacity is an open source audio creator and editor that could be used to create podcasts and also to edit, mix sound files. It could be downloaded from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/
Some important instructions befor using Audacity
- Install LAME software before starting to use Audacity if you want to save the audio as/ in MP3 format.
- While installing LAME, extract the software into Audacity folder
- When through with the recording, go to 'File' option and click on 'Export as MP3'. It would prompt to enter the path of a particular LAME file. Please mention the correct path to save it.
You may download LAME from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows
- Freeware : Software that is free and that could be downloaded for free from the internet and with no issues of sharing
- Shareware : Software that could be downloaded for free from the internet but which comes with a limited trial validity
- Open Source : Software that could be downloaded for free from the internet and that which comes with the source code also. Open source could further be shared, redistrbuted, modified by the user.
Monday, May 28, 2007
My recommendation about starting to use Open source is to start at the application level and not at the operating system level. After all, as end user we are looking at applications and products to fulfill our requirements. If you really want to try out some Linux stuff then try out some Live CDs. A Live CD version will allow you to load the Operating system and environment from the CD itself without any need to install it on the hard disk.
To start learning anything new or different, achieving a minimum comfort level is very essential and this holds true for open source also. Open source has lot of potential and to accrue benefits from it, we need to know all but use what suits us best. An example is if you are looking for some office suite, then Open office and Star office are the best bet. If you just want a word processor, then you may look at Abiword, etc.
Whenever you plan to use any open source product, please ensure that you select/ download the correct vesion, for Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.
Open Office could be dowloaded from www.openoffice.org and Abiword from www.abisource.com